Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Happy Hector


Happy Hector
Written and illustrated by Polly Dunbar
Candlewick Press



We're about to boss you around a little. First, put down whatever you're doing and cruise on over to your nearest independent bookstore. You there yet? Good. Now grab a cup of coffee and browse through the Tilly and Friends series by Polly Dunbar, but please, don't spill your coffee on these books. Honestly, how cute are those characters? One look at Hector the pig and we just want to eat him up with a side of hash browns!

In clear, precise language we learn on the very first page that Hector is sooo happy to be sitting on Tilly's lap.

"I am the happiest I have ever been!" says Hector.

When Tumpty, Doodle, Pru and Tiptoe (we heart those names!) want to play with Tilly, Hector tells them she's fine sitting there just with him, thank-you-very-much. But Hector's pals are insistent, and before he knows it everyone is sitting on Tilly's lap. (And that Tumpty has got some pudge on her!) Poor Hector is on the bottom of the pile.

"Now I am the unhappiest I have ever been," says Hector.

One by one, Hector's friends try to console him by asking him if he'd like his ears combed or if he'd like his nose painted blue. But all Hector wants is his dear Tilly, who is, as it turns out, making a present for Hector that is absolutely perfect for the sweet little pink porker.

Like Christopher Robin, Tilly is the ruler of her small kingdom, where she manages to solve all the animals' problems. This empowering, kid friendly book with its quirky characters is perfect to use with threes and fours at storytime. Don't forget to ask everyone to bring their favorite bear or pig!

2 comments:

Becky said...

I read these books this weekend though I haven't written up my reviews yet. I just love this series! I just love the picture of Hector in mascara in the Pretty Pru book :)

peaceful reader said...

Thank you for providing such wild fun! I love coming to your blog and finding all the books I need to order for my school library! you make it so easy.