Friday, March 02, 2007

Contest! (Deadline March 10th)

I know it is wet
And the sun
Is not sunny.
But we can have
Lots of good fun
That is funny!*

Happy Bird-day,
Dr. Seuss!


In honor of
the Cat, the Lorax, the Grinch, and the Man himself, Theodor Seuss Geisel, the chicks are throwing a party in the coop!

WHO'S INVITED? All sneetches (star-bellied and otherwise), whos, obsolete children and YOU!

WHEN? Today through March 10th (midnight, CST).

WHERE? Down below, in the comment section.

HOW? Surely you don't need us to tell YOU how to party, but might we suggest sharing one of your favorite Seuss books, characters, or quotes?

THEN WHAT? Hop on over here to send a birthday card to the Cat. (For every card sent, Random House will donate a book to First Book!)

IS THERE A DOOR PRIZE? Of course! Everyone who comments will be entered in a random drawing. The winning entry will be pulled out of our fantabulous party hat (see above) and announced on Sunday, March 11th, as soon as the chicks wake up and spring ahead. The prize is a surprise. (But if you're one of those people who likes to peek, take a look here and here.)

*lifted from The Cat in the Hat..but you knew that already!

10 comments:

MotherReader said...

My favorite quote from The Cat in the Hat Comes Back:

Somebody, SOMEBODY
Has to, you see.
Then she picked out two Somebodies.
Sally and me.

Myles said...

Sp I have to comment here?

My favorite has to be anything out of Green Eggs and Ham

Anonymous said...

My favorite is Fox in Socks because my mom read that one to me about a gazillion times. She was so good at all those tongue twisters. How could you not just fall in love with the sounds of language after hearing that book? The best part was the tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle. Giggles galore!

Brenda Ferber

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite books in the world is "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins." It's just beautifully absurd, yet real enough for kids to identify with Bartholomew. It takes about 20 minutes to read aloud, which is exactly the right amount of time for a readerly 3- or 4-year-old, and almost any 5-year-old. And the ending is perfect in all possible ways.

Natalie Wainwright

dink said...

I guess I was a weird kid--I didn't like Dr. Suess books ...they were disturbing, a little nightmarish (Bartholomew Cubbins and Horton in particular) but I liked this one And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street and still do.

Now that I'm almost all grown up, I like many of the Suess books but the one above is still my favorite.

bookbk said...

I'm very fond of One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. My favorite quote is

"Why are they sad and mad and glad?
I do not know. Go ask your dad."

also

"From near to far
From here to there
Funny things are everywhere."

It can apply in so many situations, really.

Jim D said...

I have to put in a pitch for I CAN READ WITH MY EYES SHUT! -- it's just silly.
(Caution: Don't read with eyes shut often because your eyebrows get red hot and you might burn through your hat!)

Jim Danielson

Kairi said...

When I was a kid my favorite was There's a Wocket in My Pocket but now I really love to read Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham to my daughter. Her favorite book is Wacky Wednesday.

Cindy Johnson said...

My very favorite Dr. Suess book as a kid was McElligot's Pool. An underground stream leading all the way to the ocean? What possibilities!

Sara said...

I love FOX IN SOX because it was one of the first books with which my son Benji fell in love. Before he even knew what all of the words meant, he'd just chuckle when we read it.

Sara Shacter