Wednesday, September 09, 2009

It's National Chicken Month!


Flap your wings and strut your stuff! It's National Chicken Month, Peeps! Here are just a few ways to celebrate:
Remove Formatting from selection
1) Spend one whole day clucking instead of talking. Think how annoying this could be!

Boss: Do you have that report finished yet?

You: Cluck?

Boss: What's that supposed to mean?

You: Cluck, cluck, cluck.

Boss: I need it by noon!

You: CLUCK!

And on and on.

A less daring way to celebrate National Chicken Month might be to play The Chicken Dance song while eating an egg salad sandwich, or hey, read a chicken book! Need some suggestions? Okay, here you go!

Henry and the Crazed Chicken Pirates
by Carolyn Crimi
illustrated by John Manders

Another adventure about our favorite reluctant pirate, Henry, by our own awesome chick, Carolyn!!!!

And these wonderful chicken books we've recently reviewed.
Chicken Butt
by Erica Perl
illustrated by Henry Cole


Chicken Cheeks
by Michael Ian Black
illustrated by Kevin Hawkes


The Cow That Laid an Egg
by Andy Cutbill
illustrated by Russel Ayto

What are your favorite Chicken Books?

6 comments:

Boni Ashburn said...

The Supernatural Rubber Chicken series by D. L. Garfinkle, The Chicken-Chasing Queen of Lamar County by Janice Harrington, Hungry Hen by Richard Waring and Big Chickens by Leslie Helakoski- all great chicken books! Oh, and Henny Penny by Jane Wattenberg! Fun to read-aloud, that one :)

Terry Golson said...

My favorite question! I have a longer list at hencam.com, but you must include "How the Ladies Stopped the Wind" (hint, the solution includes chicken manure compost) by Bruce McMillan. Also, "The Chicken in the Family" by Mary Amato and "Chicky Chicky Chook Chook by Cathy MacLennan. And, in shameless self-promotion I include my "Tillie Lays an Egg."

cynthea said...

CHICKEN DANCE, baby!

My daughter can't get enough of them chickens, and she's only two!

Vicki said...

I second the CHICKEN DANCE nomination! Long live Elvis Poultry!

erica said...

I'm so honored to be part of National Chicken Month. My favorite chicken book (that I did not write... school groups always make this distinction) is Daniel Pinkwater's The Hoboken Chicken Emergency. I also love a book called Chicken Feathers that I've had since childhood, but is sadly out of print!

Three Silly Chicks said...

Bawk!