Monday, February 02, 2009

In the Coop with Jeff Kinney!

You might not be able to tell it by looking, but we are actually wimpy chicks. It's true that we can lift large bowls of guacamole with our feathery wings without much trouble. And we've been known to leap tall buildings for a great bowl of bean dip. But let it be known that when push comes to shove we do what any self-respecting wimp does. RUN!!!
So it is that we love Jeff Kinney's books about fellow wimp, Gregg Heffley, who might not always do the right thing, but who always does the thing right.

We are very excited that Jeff stopped by the Coop on his way hither and yon to talk about The Last Straw, the brand new installment of the Wimpy Kid Series. Though, of course, we hope it's not the Last Straw! By the way, check out the blog of Book Designer Extraordinaire, Chad Beckerman, who has some great pics of Jeff in action at a recent book launch.

Welcome, Jeff!

1. When you create a book, do the pictures or story come to you first?
The jokes come first. Once I’m done writing jokes, I try to string them together into a narrative.

2. How do you know when what you write is funny??
If I don’t feel embarrassed by the joke, or if it isn’t clich├ęd.

3. Do you have any tips for writing funny books?
Yes…. Write lots and lots of material, and then throw out the worst 90%.

4. Are you in any way like Greg or any of the other characters in Wimpy Kid?
Sure, Greg is an amplification of my worst points both as a kid and as an adult.

5. Has being funny ever gotten you into or out of trouble?
Once, my Algebra teacher, who had recently shaved his beard, told the class his wife said it was like sleeping with a different person. I said, “How would she know?” It got a laugh from the class, but not from the teacher.

6. What are some of your favorite funny books?????
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, by Judy Blume, and the Calvin and Hobbes books.

7. If you could live in one of your books, which one would you choose?
In an alternate universe, I feel like I’ve already lived in my books

8. Do you prefer The Marx Bros or Three Stooges?
The Marx Brothers.

9. What was your best Halloween costume ever?
C-3P0

10. What is your Dream Job for a Day?
To have any one job instead of the three that I have!

11. Clown V. Mime Deathmatch.? Pick your winner.
Mime, because they must have thicker skin.

12. Funniest dead person you'd like to meet
Dead people aren’t funny… what are you trying to pull here?

13. Do you keep a diary of your own?
I used to, but then I realized I was spending more time chronicling my life than living it.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Thanks for the fun interview! My kids (and their mom) can't get enough of Jeff Kinney and Greg!