Saturday, January 10, 2009

In the Coop with David Roberts

Question: Why did the chickens cross the road?
Answer: To get more bean dip for our party with David Roberts! Duh!

This month we are doubly excited to be in the coop with the amazing and talented and --did we say amazing-- David Roberts. To start with, we are excited because David is the illustrator of Andrea's book, Iggy Peck, Architect.

But do you know why we are doubly excited?

It's because David (who has illustrated more than 30 books) is also the illustrator of Carolyn's upcoming title, Dear Tabby, which comes out in 2010.

Welcome, David!!!!

What artists have influenced your work?

I have been inspired by artists such as Edward Gorey, Maurice Sendak, David Hockney, John Burningham, Brian Wildsmith, Tomi Ungerer and from Dore particularly I have learned how to get great tone by just using line.

How do you know when what you create is funny??
If it makes me laugh!

Do you have any tips for illustrating and/or writing funny books?
Not really, but if something makes you laugh it might work but it is just really hard.

Has being funny ever gotten you into or out of trouble?
I do a lot of events like book festivals and one of my characters is a boy called Dirty Bertie who has a joke book and I often ask the children what their favourite jokes are and this can sometimes prove a bit risque!

What is one of your favorite funny books?
I love a "Hole is to Dig" by Ruth Kraus and Maurice Sendak which is funny and charming.

If you could live in one of your books, which one would you choose?
Bearing in mind that a lot of the stories I illustrate are of a spooky nature and sometimes even rather scary ghost stories I would not want to live in any of these as I would be permanently terrified. I do have a passion for the 1930's and art deco and I would not mind spending a day or two in Cinderella, an Art Deco Love Story by Lynn Roberts.

Nobody but NOBODY does skit comedy better than the British. Do you have a favorite show?
I quite agree and there are so many to choose from Little Britain, Absolutely Fabulous

and Victoria Wood on TV. There is a show that was on in the 80's called Girls on Top

and this is my all time favourite.


What was your best Halloween costume ever?
I was a vampire victim with two holes in my neck, a white face and I wore my Marilyn Monroe T-shirt drenched in fake blood.

What is your Dream Job for a Day?
Wine taster, whiskey taster, gin taster, chocolate taster, cake taster - but I do that most days any way! I would quite like to be able to play the trumpet in a brass band.

Clown V. Mime Deathmatch?
Pick your winner. I suppose the mime artist could be the underdog so I would say that.

Funniest dead person you'd like to meet??
Loved Laurel and Hardy, a custard pie fight never ceases to make me laugh.

And because the fourth season of Doctor Who just ended on this side of the Pond and the Chick in pink is now experiencing serious withdrawal, we must ask: Who is YOUR Doctor?
Without a shadow of a doubt Tom Baker. My brother and I spent a lot of time behind the sofa when he was on the screen. I illustrated his one and only children's book,

The Boy who Kicked Pigs, and when I met him we were in a taxi on our way to dinner and I was thinking to myself we could end up anywhere!!!!!

1 comment:

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, I love David Roberts. He also illustrated Tyrannosaurus Drip by Julia Donaldson. (one of my favorites!) I searched for his contact info to ask if he would sell me some art, but I couldn't find it! Does he have a web site? If not, could you possibly get me in touch with him?