Tuesday, January 23, 2007

In the Coop with Kevin O'Malley!

We have a visitor in the coop! Who can it be?

He's bigger than a breadbox, stronger than a batch of Aunt Melma's Rum Cookies, and able to leap a frog in a single bound!

Of course, he's Kevin O'Malley, illustrator (and/or author) of over 40 picture books including WHO KILLED COCK ROBIN?, ONCE UPON A COOL MOTORCYCLE DUDE, and the Miss Malarkey series. We are so excited to welcome Kevin to the coop!


http://www.booksbyomalley.com/

How do you know when what you write is funny?
I think a lot of stuff is funny. A lot of stuff I think is funny makes it into the dummy books I pitch to publishers. Publishers often don't share my sense of humor.

Do you have any tips for writing funny books?
Read as many humorists as you can. Don't read anything written by Russians.

Has being funny ever gotten you into or out of trouble?
I gave my 5th grade teacher an Irish seven course meal (a six pack and a potato). He called my dad. My dad sat me down. I thought I was done for. My father told me, with a twinkle in his eye, "Next time give him the cheap stuff."

What are some of your favorite funny books?
There are just too many to name.

If you could live in one of your books, which one would you choose?
That's a stiffening question. I can't imagine living in any of them. I'm a 3-d guy. I couldn't live all flattened out and getting dusty on a B&N shelf.

Who do you like more, The Marx Brothers or Three Stooges?
The Marx Bros without a doubt. I love reading the humorist S.J. Pearlman. He wrote several of the screen plays for their movies. I will skip a good party to watch 'Duck Soup' or 'A night at the Opera.'

What was your best Halloween costume?
My mother dressed my three brothers and me as convicts in striped prison garb complete with ball and chains. We marched along in the schools Halloween parade. We killed 'um! My mother followed along with a big stick in her hand. She said "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

What is your Dream Job for a day?
Playing jazz guitar along with my big brother on the up-right bass.

Clown V. Mime Deathmatch. Pick your winner.
It would be over in seconds. Mimes in the ring. The sight of the bozo make-up terrorizes him. First he'd try to make the 'trapped in glass box'. Then he'd fight a strong wind as he tried to get out of the ring, but the clown would just keep coming, seltzer bottle in hand. A quick blast of water and it would all be over. The mime is revealed to be a Vassar Grad who majored in Elizabethan poetry and thinks Marcel Marso is hot.
Happily the clown spends months in rehab after tangling his oversized shoes in the roping and tumbling to the floor.

Funniest dead person you'd like to meet?
Jean Shepherd or Erma Bombeck.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Kevin O'M's a riot! We're definitely going to have to lure him to the Flying Pig (bookstore) for some drinks--I mean, a signing. Great interview, chicks!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!