Friday, December 01, 2006

Christmas in the Coop


We love this time of year! It's a time for caroling, merriment, gingerbread lattes, sleigh bells, shopping for gifts, waiting in lines, looking for parking spots, running up credit card limits, gaining weight, snapping impatiently at idiotic salespeople who don't know their own stock--

Oh my. Let's start over, shall we?

We love this time of year! It's a time to browse through all the heart-warming holiday books extolling the beauty of the season. We're all in favor of new authors creating new books, but we still have our sentimental favorites. Here's our list. We'd love to hear about yours, too!

Carolyn's favorites:

Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree, by Robert Barry. My best friend and I used to read this every year while eating ice-cream sandwiches. It's entirely possible that it's my favorite because of the ice-cream sandwiches.

My favorite holiday movie is A Christmas Story. If you have any doubt as to why this is such a classic, I have three words for you: Pink Bunny Suit.

Andrea's favorites:

How the Grinch Stole Christmas by the man! Just because you gotta love the Grinch!

How Murray Saved Christmas, by Mike Reiss and David Catrow. I love this because it makes my kids roll on the floor laughing.

The Christmas Crocodile, by Bonnie Becker, illustrated by David Small. I especially love the eccentric family in this book. They remind me of my own family!

My favorite all time Christmas movies: It's a Wonderful Life. The Grinch. Holiday Inn. And quite possibly the best animated short movie ever--The Snowman.

Julia's favorite:

Santa Mouse and the Ratdeer, by Thacher Hurd. Why? Because the Ratdeer's names are Blunder, Basher, Lousy, Loopy, Bugsy and Twizzlebum.

Now there's an author after a silly chick's heart!

Okay, folks, spill it! What are your favorites and why?

3 comments:

Liz said...

It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Story, Grinch, Charlie Brown, and ALL of the Rankin Bass specials (Rudolph, Year Without a Santa, etc.) Those are all MUST SEE Christmas TV! But, I LOVE this very obscure made-for-TV special called "The Juggler of Notre Dame." Does anyone else know it? Not funny in the least, but a real uplifting tearjerker starring Merlin Olsen and Melinda Dillon (the mom from Christmas Story!). Find it if you can, I dare you not to cry!!

Three Silly Chicks said...

Oh how we love Rudolph! Haven't we all said, "I want to be a dentist!" at least once?

This talk of reindeer reminds Andrea of another favorite. (Clearly at least one chick watches WAY too much TV.) She loves "Robbie the Reindeer." It's a weird little show made by some of the Aardman animators (Wallace and Gromit). Check out the link:

http://www.cbs.com/specials/robbie/

It will be on CBS on the 17th!

We'll have to find "The Juggler of Notre Dame." Even chicks need a tear-jerker now and then. After all, why do you think they call them chick-flicks?

Barbjn said...

I never get tired of watching "It's a Wonderful Life." Never. We quote lines from it all year long. And do you think that is where Jim Henson and Frank Oz got the idea for "Bert and Ernie?"--from Bert the cop and Ernie and cab driver?Mmmmmm...

And here is something cute: no matter how many times we watch it, my husband always gets teary eyed at the end.

I also love THE SNOWMAN. That music is haunting and the animation is wonderful because it is rendered.

When I was a kid MILLION DOLLAR MOVIE (Channel 9 in New York) always played the Abbot and Costello movie, HIT THE ICE, over and over and over again. Wouldn't mind seeing that again.